About Me

My photo
Hanzhi is a freelance illustrator, photographer, a traveller, youngest child, has 3 sisters, enjoys making salad and doing volunteer work. She graduated from Nanyang Technological University (NTU), School of Arts, Design & Media (ADM) with a BA (Hons) degree in Photography in '11. Hanzhi is available for commissions, freelance opportunities and afternoon tea. Share her little bonuses in life, see what she has seen, feel what she has felt. :) if you like them, because she hopes that they'll bring you a :) today.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Not All's Lost..

I was very much inspired by a fellow volunteer's words, he said "it doesn't matter if you eventually decide not to shave, because by being at this event, going through the whole thought process of losing your hair, you have just shared the fear of all these children with cancer" and therefore, it will definitely change the perspective of one while seeing a cancer patient the next time.

My project here is not to ask of everyone to join me in the shaving act, I want to share the stories of these brave ladies to as many people as possible, to allow them the chance of deciding whether to join us, by that they have already shared something with the children with cancer.



Han

Hmm, this is my 2nd time shaving. The very first time I participated, I knew nothing about CCF or childhood cancer. To me, that gave me a very good reason to shave bald. After all, we ladies will never be forced to shave our heads for NS. Hence, my first attempt was very much about getting a “once in a lifetime” experience. Many have thrown me questions such as, “so what if you shave? How do you actually contribute? You don’t meet the children and people on the streets won’t know that you have shaved your head for charity and etc”. I had a hard time convincing them and at the same time, I wanted to convince myself too. As a result, I decided to become a volunteer with CCF. Being a Play Personnel at KKH at the beginning of this year, I visited and companied these lovely angels for a couple of hours every Friday. I begin to have a better understanding of what childhood cancer is about. I see the pain they go through and the pain their parents endure. In many ways, shaving this year carries much more significance than shaving 3 years ago. This act is done for me, the little heroes I meet every Friday and also a form of support for their parents. It’s not so much about how much donations we are able to garner (that being said, of course we hope to have more). But at least for me, it’s truly about the support we give to each other that warms our hearts, making all of us feel a little better about what we are going through.


Audrey

I've been following HFH since 2004, been thinking about going for it but didn’t really had the courage to. Especially getting the approval from my parents and my conservative grandparents. In recent years, cancer has hit people that I know. Actually I’m not doing it just for the kids, but also for us women. I hope to ease the stereotype of bald women and get people to look at the heart instead of the appearance. Moreover, hair is just hair. It will grow back! :)


Beat

I am a diploma graduate from Ngee Ann Polytechnic in the course of Early Childhood Education. During the duration of my study, I was an assistant teacher in various childcares and had opportunities to work with children who had special needs and were ill.

Being with children has taught me plenty, especially how we often take things for granted as we mature. Health, I believe is an aspect of living which many of us who are blessed without major life disrupting ailments, take for granted. We fail to appreciate good health for it’s worth, abusing our bodies in manners comprising of bad eating habits to the lack of care for our physical well-being.

It is unjust that innocent children are victims to cancer. It was never a choice for them to have to suffer the consequences of their illness, hair loss from therapy being just one example amongst the countless. I look up to these children, whom I affectionately describe as ‘our little heroes’; their courage is most commendable.


Through Hair for Hope, I wish not only to help raise monetary funds to contribute to the foundation’s efforts in helping families who need financial assistance. I also desire to illustrate my love and support for the young patients by donning a bald head with them and hopefully, their feelings of shame or discomfort may diminish with the loss of hair.


From shaving, I fervently seek to encourage the children, and recognize their admirable courage. Thus, I am shaving to create awareness within my company and the public that these young patients do not choose to be ill, and should never be discriminated or stared strangely at.

I believe that compared to what the children and their families must endure, sacrificing my hair is insignificant and incapable to accurately illustrate their plights. For behind every little bald head tells a story of strength; strength of parents, caregivers and of course, our little heroes. =)


Claire

It started out with this long term curiosity as to what it’s like to go bald. When a church friend who is about 14 was diagnosed with leukemia, I really wanted to support her by participating in this event. I signed up with 2 other friends without telling her. This motivation developed into empathy when I heard the survivor story of a mom, whose child had been struck with leukemia at the briefing. Her talk put a new perspective on image/cultural norms/acceptance/staring/public transport. It also dawned on me that I will probably never have this window to go bald again, since I'm 21 and will soon be starting work in an industry unlikely to go easy on a bald woman.


Clarissa

My grandfather passed away due to colon cancer when I was only 3 years old. It was not easy for the family; but we all seemed to have accepted the fact that he had lived his life to the fullest.
In comparison, the duration of the lives of these children are shortened so drastically. I admire these kids, even though they are down with such an illness, they continued to live life with a smile on their faces and choose to fight till the end. 



I realize how lucky I am, living such a blessed and uncomplicated life.  
Yet there are times when I complain about not having enough, having too much and even when I know I have just enough.



I wanted to give something back and be thankful for all the blessings that I have received. At the same time, to show my support for these brave kids. I had been thinking about shaving my hair for since the last year. I do not mind doing it alone, but I am still hopeful to find some like-minded people to do it together.


Clorine and Melissa

I've wanted to shave for this cause since I came to know about it a few years ago. However, the lack of courage and inappropriate timing made me delay it till this year. In fact, I'm looking forward to 25th July right now. For myself, I want to shave my head at least once in my lifetime and this presents itself as a good opportunity. I would have never done it for any apparent reason, if not for such a good cause. Also, I feel for these kids, having to go through so much at such a tender age. I have a friend who was down with leukemia and having seen her in such a state back then still brings painful memory to my mind. When other teens of her age are out having fun, she was stuck in the four walls of the hospital, going through chemotherapy and pain. It's a blessing to be able to see her all healthy and leading a normal life right now. I'm just glad that I can be of help to these kids in terms of being bald like them while raising some awareness and donations for them. I'm afraid of needles; hence I do not donate blood, but I still wish to help others in other ways.


Desiree

The reason why I'd like to be shaved is because I believe that no one should feel inferior, especially children. The norm of being a woman is to have locks of hair and that's just what it is - the norm. If more people start shaving, it'll be viewed as "normal" too; cancer patients will stop feeling stigmatized. That's my motivation in a nutshell.


Hwee Ting

Motivation for sharing:

It was 2003 when Dad passed away. As we accompanied him through the various stages of colon cancer, we felt thankful to be able to have him home with us during his final moments. Dad had spent his life taking care of us. He is possibly the best playmate and friend, who had given me precious memories of the many things he had done for us.
 
For Dad:

Although it has been 7 years since you were taken from us, I cannot help but missing you. Thank you for teaching me swimming, cycling and Mathematics; I am sorry that I forgot to thank you properly. I am sure you know of what I have been doing; raising funds and awareness. It is true that the effort comes with a bit of struggle and incomparable to some other standards, but I stand tall for I have done. I know that starting on a new job is not a valid excuse to that and so, I will work doubly hard.


JD

In remembrance of my brother and close friend who died of cancer. When I think about the number of children who have to go through this, it convinced me that this is for a worthy cause. Thus, I am shaving for the fifth time!


Jovan

The main reason that prompted me to go ahead with this was the fact I had brain tumor in 2008. Being without hair isn't an issue for me as I had to shave for my operation. I see a need to help out in every little way I can.

I'm not shaving it for anyone or anything; but for the illness itself. I lost a cousin to leukemia 10 years ago and that is something I will never forgot about. The greatest impact was that I had failed to see him until his funeral. My parents were, for the lack of better word, ignorant and fearful of leukemia; they thought it could be passed on as easily as H1N1. On top of it, I had lost another dear friend to cancer a few years ago. These are regrets words cannot sufficiently describe. When I was diagnosed with brain tumor, I freaked out whenever I recalled those 2 incidents. I can assure you that no matter how much you mentally prepare yourself for the outcome, you will eventually breakdown; either out of relief or despair. My tumor was diagnosed as benign, but there was still a chance for the residuals to metastasis into cancerous cells.

After my operation, I was bald too. I can understand fully the uncomfortable feeling of being stared at by strangers. Ever since these incidents, I’ve been trying to engage in charity/volunteer work as much as I can. I feel that I can do more to help, but when reality sets in, I realize that I still have my family to provide for. Sometimes I just wish I could be working full time for charity.


Joy

Reasons why I joined HFH include: I was moved by the testimony of Lindy, a CCF volunteer who shaved her head to support the kids. I have also been inspired by my lecturer and friends who had support HFH previously.

More importantly, however, the main reason why I want to shave is to overcome some stereotypes of girls that people have. Shaving our heads is wrong because girls are NOT SUPPOSED to do that and that one will be perceived as being crazy to do that.

From the moment I broke the news, there had been all sorts of negative comments intending to discourage me. I want to take this opportunity to prove them wrong.
Apart from that, I also believe that I can learn to how to deal with the criticisms and weird looks strangers give me in a more matured manner. I really want to demonstrate to the patients that being bald is fine. From the initial stage of being mocked, to the stages of conquering the fear of mockery and gaining acceptance from those around me, I want to fight the stigma of our society with the patients.


Kelly

I was not really motivated by anyone, but I got to know about this event through my brother. He is doing it for the 3rd time.
Actually I had intentions to do it at Novena Square last year, but I could not make up my mind. I just give birth to a baby boy this February; hence I can understand that taking care of a healthy child is not easy, much less when they are sick. For those parents whose children are ill, they have to look for the money to pay for their medical expenses.

My husband will be shaving his hair as well and I would have included my baby too, if she is not so young.


Khai

In essence, I want to help. I'm not one who sits around watching helplessly. I'd get up and do something about it; anything, just as long as I can help.


Kris

I did it in memory of my late maternal grandmother who died in 1996 of Leukemia. After her passing, I made a pledge to donate blood in her memory. Unfortunately due to my trip to UK, I was barred from blood donating in order to prevent CJD (Mad Cow Disease).



As I have always wanted to do something for Cancer patients, I grab at this golden opportunity to contribute to such a noble cause. This is nothing compare to the children who are suffering at such a young age. By shaving, I stand in solidarity and offer my support for these children wholeheartedly. 



On a side note, I am currently going through a personal crisis and in need of a new lease of life. Therefore, this shave has especially meaningful to me. It signifies the renewal of a new beginning.


Letchami

It was during May 2008 that my aunt was diagnosed with 3rd stage of breast cancer. During chemotherapy, she was agonizing over the loss of her hair. There were patches on her head. At that point of time, I felt so helpless. In July 2008, CCF had their HFH campaign and I knew that it was something that I could do to share in her ordeal. After the shave, I went to visit my aunt and the next thing I knew, she headed to the salon to have her head shaved. It was her positive attitude and strength that inspired me to continue shaving my hair. Moral support makes a huge difference to the lives of cancer patients.


May

My mother has regular encounters with Lymphoma for the past 5 years and during her second relapse, I decided it was time to show my support through actions. I remembered giving her constant reminders to face cancer, life and to accept that the illness may take her away. Essentially, to live means to endure suffering, so why don’t we walk into the light? It is so easy to say goodbye and be relieved of pain, but there are many, like my mother, who chose suffering in order to live on for their loved ones. As for me, I chose to BE with them, supporting and encouraging them through the act of shaving. Today, what we lost is merely hair but when tomorrow comes, what they stand to lose, are their lives.


Melina

I've always had something for children with special needs - i.e. Autism, Down Syndrome and etc. I want to do something for them, even if it is just putting a simple smile on their faces. Volunteering in a special needs ministry in church shows me how joyful it is to be with the children, even if they might not be as "complete" as normal people are. A simple joke or activity will have them smiling for an entire day! How heartwarming is that? Cancer children have to suffer so much. All the poking of needles and medication, it's too much for a child to take. Many people would offer to donate money to help these children but is that all one can do? Actions speak louder than words. That's why I decided to participate in Hair for Hope.


Michelle

I had thoughts of shaving since 2008, when a group of friends participated in the event. Back then I wasn't mentally ready to have my locks shaved. However, with the support of my girlfriends and parents this time, I decided that it’s either now or never. My motivation for shaving is simple: advocacy. Although I have not worked with children who are terminally or chronically ill, I hope to shed some light on the negative public reaction that these children have to endure. This event is also a platform for me, as an aspiring early childhood educator, to show my love for children by lending them a voice.
Why am I shaving? Firstly, I am shaving for myself - to truly experience and realize what it’s like to have something I take for granted, removed from me within that mere seconds when the electronic shaver hits my head. Lastly, I shaved for the children and their families who manage to live their lives with such tenacity, despite all odds.  


Mong Ling

The decision to shave has everything to do with me being a nurse. Working in an oncology ward, I see life and death everyday. I see how death crept in silently, eroding bits and pieces of them away. I see how sudden it can come and when a chance to say goodbye is deprived. I see the courage and strength each displayed amidst their adversities, amidst what seems to be a losing battle.
 
Everyone deserves to live, what's more for the little ones.

To me, hair only accentuates our looks, but when there is no meaning in life, there is no room for beauty.


Nilam

Shaving off my hair was done in the remembrance of my parents.
My mother passed away 13 years ago, while my father, 3 years ago.
While she was still alive, my mother experienced the medicinal side effect of hair-dropping. I can still remember the feeling of lost, when I sniped off her long hair. My mother loved to maintain her long hair and did not like sporting short hair. I knew how painful it was for her to have to cut it short, but she still smiled bravely throughout the haircut.


Qiulian

This is my 3rd time shaving and if my hair permits, I'm going to make it an annual event. I started volunteering at the Pediatric Ward at Tan Tock Seng Hospital at the age of 17 or 18. Thereafter, I do ad-hoc voluntary work at children homes and student care centers. However, I have stopped doing so after I gave birth to my elder daughter.
 
I just want to show to the brave little ones out there, that they are not alone. We can’t be there when they fighting really hard with the monster and we can’t be there when they are going through their chemotherapy and hence, this is the tiniest thing we can do to show that we care.
 
I really don’t know how to put in words, my feeling towards these kids.


Su Ru and Su Bing

Su Ru
The news of a family member stricken with cancer had prompted me to stop sitting on things and to take action while my body is still healthy. I hope that I can help, not only to raise funds for the families of these brave little warriors, but to also increase awareness to their plight. Through shaving, I hope to convey my prayers and well-wishes to these little warriors. “You are not alone”.

Su Bing
In the same year which I got married, a beloved relative was diagnosed with cancer. That intensified my resolve to participate in the event. After all, life is short; live it or regret it.

On a personal note, my decision to participate was made more meaningful as I am currently pregnant (although unplanned, lol.) I hope that my participation will help to create more awareness to the cause. :)


Theresa

This is my second time doing the HFH shave and the reason I did it is slightly different from last year. Previously, I took a long time deciding whether to participate and missed the event date entirely. In the end, I had to do the shaving at my dad's workplace. His company had organized one HFH event for their staff and I joined my dad in shaving! It was a small event compared to the one held at Novena, but I didn't want to shave at such an open area because I dislike the attention placed on me. Haha. This is due to the fact that I'm in a wheelchair; I get enough attention from it already. But I realized that was a selfish reason as it is important for this event to get attention, in order to help this cause. So my reason for being a shavee this year is to show plainly that I care, without thinking too much about it. Haha.


Wanjing

When I was in secondary school, I had a female instructor who was bald. We asked her why was she bald and she told us her story. The instructor had cancer a few years ago and had since recovered from it. She was once bald and had to deal with the stares in public. After she recovered, she signed up for Hair for Hope. When I heard her story, I was very touched and inspired by her courage to help these children. A few weeks later, I received an email invitation from my instructor to witness her shaving process. This inspired me to have my hair shaved for this event too. When I told my family and friends, they were against the idea and commented that it would make me look like I have cancer. If this is the reaction I received from the people I love, what will be the reactions of the public when they see these patients? That was when I resolved to shave my head. I want to let people know that with or without hair, cancer patients are human beings too. I hope to make a difference to the children, help them face their fear of being bald and hope that they will get well soon!


Yanyu

I was inspired by a newspaper article about a cancer-stricken primary school boy who had lost all his hair due to chemotherapy. When his friends found out, they gathered all his classmates to shave their heads so the boy will not feel left out. That left a really deep impression in my mind. I did not think children at that age could empathize so well. So I thought, perhaps I could do the same for these children in similar circumstances and really make a difference. This is the first time I have actually done something meaningful in my life and I feel really good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment