About Me

My photo
Hanzhi is a freelance illustrator, photographer, a traveller, youngest child, has 3 sisters, enjoys making salad and doing volunteer work. She graduated from Nanyang Technological University (NTU), School of Arts, Design & Media (ADM) with a BA (Hons) degree in Photography in '11. Hanzhi is available for commissions, freelance opportunities and afternoon tea. Share her little bonuses in life, see what she has seen, feel what she has felt. :) if you like them, because she hopes that they'll bring you a :) today.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Travel photography? Let's watch TV.

This is a series of satellites were taken on a discovery trip in China, Hainan. A collaboration with fellow teammates and the villagers, we create images using alternative lights.

As we set out to "capture" culture, we researched and we studied about the Li minority that have lived up in the mountains in Hainan for generations. We found records of tattooed faces of the women, the traditional adobe houses, dances and practices. We anticipated what we were about to see. Indeed, we did met a coupe of the tattooed women, we stayed beside them in similar houses of theirs (with much better facilities) and they dressed themselves up in their traditional costumes for photoshoots.

However, they were never the first things that captured my attention. The satellites did. As we zigged zagged through their houses, I noticed that.. their seemingly only entertainment was to watch tv and drink. They were sucked into the "window" of my world, the materialistic one as compared to their so seemed simpler one.

These satellites were "glorified" through this whole process of image making, symbolically about the power that technology possesses.

Nevertheless, this process of image making create an opportunity for the 2 cultures to meet.

The trip, for a couple of nights weren't about discovering ever-changing cultures and trying to preserve them, its about interaction and cultural exchange.

They questioned more than I asked.
I listened more than I heard.
I observed more than I snapped.
I understood more than I found.
They taught more than I thought.


新唐人


中央9台


宏观


大爱


華藏

No comments:

Post a Comment